The Government of Malawi received a grant from the European Union under the 11th European Development Fund to implement nutrition programme called Afikepo meaning “Let them develop to their full potential”. The aim of the programme is to contribute to the enhancement of Food and Nutrition Security in Malawi in the ten (10) selected districts namely: Chitipa, Karonga, Nkhata Bay,
Mzimba, Kasungu, Nkhotakota, Salima, Chiradzulu, Thyolo and Mulanje. The programme is among others promoting increased and diversified dietary intake of safe and nutritious foods; increased use of enhanced nutrition knowledge, awareness and hygiene practices; and strengthen multi-sectoral governance of nutrition at all levels. The programme is also supporting capacity building of nutrition professionals from various line government ministries and departments to effectively implement and translate nutrition policy objectives into actions. The programme is aligned with the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy (MGDS III) key priority areas and the actions in the National Multi-Sector Nutrition Policy and Strategic Plan.
The Malawi Government through the Department of Nutrition, HIV and AIDS (DNHA) in the Ministry of Health with funding from the European Union invites interested Malawians to apply for scholarships to pursue Degree programme in Food and Nutrition Sciences. The Degree scholarships will be offered to successful candidates to study Food and Nutrition Sciences at Chancellor College.
Eligibility for Bachelor’s Degree Scholarships
The scholarships are open to serving Civil Servants who meet the following criteria:
- Be a Malawian citizen aged less than fifty (50) at the date of application;
- Must be a serving officer with a minimum of two (2) years’ work experience.
Priority shall be given to those at Grade K and above;
- Must possess a Diploma from an accredited university in any of the following:
Nutrition, Food Nutrition and Livelihood Security, Food and Nutrition, Public Health, Public Health Nutrition, Environmental Health, Education (with a major in Home Economics and/or human nutrition), Community Nursing, Clinical Medicine, Agriculture (with a major in food security and/or human nutrition);
- In addition, the applicant must possess MSCE with six (6) credits as follows: 4 credits in any of the following science subjects: Biology, Physical Science (or General Science or Chemistry or Physics) Chemistry and Physics, Agriculture, social studies, Home economics etc and 2 credits one in English and another in Mathematics, obtained in one sitting;
- Must be willing to sign a training bond in line with Government’s training policy;
- Must be willing to work in remote areas to support Afikepo Nutrition Programme or other government Nutritional Programmes during the entire study period;
- Applicants who have already secured a place to start mature entry at Chancellor College will have an added advantage.
Interested applicants should submit an application letter together with all the following documents:
i. An updated Curriculum Vitae,
ii. Copies of academic certificates,
iii. Stamped reference letter from the employer on official Government letter head,
iv. Letter of conditional offer of employment (PSR19 Form) OR a recent pay slip
Applications should be sent to the address below clearly marking the type of scholarship one is applying for:
The Imprest Administrator
Department of Nutrition, HIV and AIDS
Centre House Arcade, MPICO Building
Private Bag B401
THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS IS 23rd March, 2021.
Those who previously applied for the Afikepo scholarships when it was advertised are encouraged to re-apply.