Access to and provision of voluntary family planning (FP) methods is a foundational strategy to improve maternal, newborn, and child health. While impressive gains have been seen in contraceptive prevalence in Mozambique, more work is needed to address the multiple challenges women and their families face in accessing and using FP and to build upon efforts that are yielding positive results. FHI 360 is seeking a Chief of Party – Mozambique Improved Family Planning Initiative to lead an anticipated award from the United States Agency for International Development in Mozambique (USAID/Mozambique) to enable women and couples to achieve their reproductive intentions. The anticipated award is a five-year 39.9 million dollar cooperative agreement that aims to 1) increase demand for the adoption of health reproductive behaviors; 2) expand equitable access for quality FP services; and 3) improve leadership and commitment to the national family planning programs at all levels. This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Chief of Party (COP) is responsible for the overall implementation of the project, providing both strategic technical and managerial oversight. The COP will oversee see all aspects of the project’s implementation cycle including program planning and evaluation, ensuring high quality implementation of evidenced-based FP approaches that are in-line with global and Republic of Mozambique standards and the documentation of program successes. The COP will serve as the main point of contact with the USAID/Mozambique mission and will ensure that project implementation, monitoring and reporting are complying with United States Government (USG) rules and regulations. The COP will also ensure that the FHI 360 program is implemented in line with FHI 360 policies. This position will be based in Maputo.
- Leads the project team, technical and operational aspects of the project, including planning and implementation; ensuring clarity over plans and priorities; and encourages effective teamwork and adaptive management.
- Oversees a team of senior technical, operations, compliance and finance staff and ensures clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained among the team members.
- Supervises key staff, including ensuring field staff regularly prepare and accurately update performance data.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to managers and staff to achieve project goals
- Develops a vision for the project and leads its adaptation based on performance data and regular reviews.
- Supports professional development of project staff and ensures technical and program management excellence.
Management and Compliance
- Ensures compliance with USAID and USG rules and regulations
- Reviews and approves contractual deliverables to meet USAID and corporate reporting requirements that document program performance and monitor overall award compliance.
- Leads preparation of project deliverables, including annual work-plans, budgets and project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials in accordance with USAID deadlines.
- Provides overall financial oversight of the budget over the life of the project.
- Collaborates with and directly act upon inputs from FHI 360’s contracts management team to ensure continuous compliance of all consortium members with agreement/contract rules and regulations.
- Organizes project teams and oversee production of Standard Operating Procedures to meet project goals and ensure compliance with policies.
- Ensures continuous communication with FHI 360 regional office and technical units at headquarters.
- Ensures compliance with FHI 360 policies and procedures and is responsible for creating, promoting, and maintaining safe and equitable work environments for all FHI 360 personnel, including a harassment- and violence-free work culture, and systems for safeguarding program participants.
Stakeholder engagement and management
- Liaises with USAID/Mozambique and stakeholders in Nampula, Sofala, and Zambesia provinces including local government partners, civil society and faith-based organizations, private sector providers and companies to design and implement project activities and monitor their achievements.
- Liaises with USG partners and other donors and implementing agencies to ensure coordination of and synergy with other USAID/Mozambique health activities and non-health sectors as appropriate.
- Represents the project at regional, national and international fora, including technical and investment conferences, policy briefings, networking events, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in public health or any field relevant to the overall objectives of the project including quality management and improvement of FP services, demand generation of FP services, private sector service delivery of FP services and capacity building of government entities at different levels to implement and efficiently manage services. Master’s degree highly preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years with project management experience with USAID funded programs, with a preference given to programs that have sought to improve FP.
- At least 5 years’ experience serving as a COP on other USAID-Funded Programs
- Experience working with the Ministry of Health and other government entities and civil society organizations.
- Prior experience in working on Mozambique.
- Strong understanding of high impact practices in FP.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Experience leading large teams comprised of both technical and operations staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Portuguese and English.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Mozambique-Maputo (F; Beijo da Mulata St.)
Category: International Jobs
Company Name: FHI 360