At Last Mile Health (LMH), we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Are you a strategic and tactical leader looking to work alongside a committed group of senior team members during an ambitious period of fast pace change and growth? If so, you may be our next Chief of Staff (CoS) at LMH.
The CoS works in a hands-on role directly supporting the CEO in the management and expansion of organizational operations, strategy, and the implementation of LMH’s operating model and communicating this work to key stakeholders. The primary objective of the CoS is to ensure that the plans and priorities of the CEO are effectively coordinated, executed, and compellingly communicated.
The CoS will manage core workstreams related to optimizing organizational health and performance and will be LMH’s lead on oversight of the 4-year strategic plan. Additionally, the CoS will manage the CEO’s communications calendar and messaging, with support from the Partnerships and Communications team. Lastly, the CoS will oversee an ever-changing set of responsibilities that ensure the CEO has visibility into critical organizational issues. These responsibilities include strategic prioritization and coordination of executive office workstreams, management of annual planning, strategic cycles, and organizational performance management, key internal and external communications, and various special projects.
This position is open to candidates located in Malawi, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, and on the Eastern seaboard of the United States. Candidates must have the ability to work in one of the countries listed above. Please note that several of our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19 and staff usually based at these offices are working remotely.
What You’ll Do
- Support the CEO in driving a strong, cross-departmental agenda of accountability, execution, and delivery and strategically align the CEO’s time with these priorities
- “Set the table” for the CEO in regular management forums by pulling together the right stakeholders, analyzing and presenting relevant information/data, and elevating critical issues so that the CEO can effectively participate in forums and make decisions
- Work alongside all programmatic and business service units to effectively track performance to monitor progress against the strategic plan and other organizational indicators
- Serve as a trusted, strategic advisor and confidential sounding board in assessing business opportunities, strategy, and team health
- Represent the CEO and their viewpoints as necessary in meetings, synthesizing the information and feedback for quick decision-making
- Collaborate with the Organizational Effectiveness and Finance teams to oversee and coordinate elements of the annual and quarterly planning cycle
- Regularly conduct best practice research, including on key strategic decisions that the organization is looking to undertake
- Support internal communications by drafting emails on behalf of the CEO, writing reports and synthesizing information for staff awareness
What You’ll Bring
- Master’s degree in a related field, MBA or MPP preferred
- Several years of experience in global health or international development
- Prior experience of close collaboration with senior organizational leadership
- Ability to travel to all of LMH’s offices – both domestic and international – up to 25% (dependent on COVID-19 travel limitations)
- Significant project management experience and the ability to establish a systematic course of action to ensure project completion
- Experience developing strategies and implementing complex projects with a high degree of independence within a creative, fast-paced, action-oriented and collegial environment
- Ability to express ideas, thoughts and concepts clearly and concisely in a compelling way to convince or assist others, both in writing and orally
- Strong research and analytical skills applied to global health, fundraising and development issues, including an ability to synthesize and summarize large amounts of information and to focus quickly on the essence of an issue
- Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management with exceptional verbal and written communication skills
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have previously managed policy, advocacy, or communications teams and work
- You have previously served as a CoS or in a similar role at a non-profit or social enterprise
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
You can read about our competitive benefits offerings here.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams, and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Boston, Ethiopia, Liberia, Malawi, New York, and Uganda. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Multiple Countries
Category: International Jobs
Deadline: March 31, 2021
Company Name: Last Mile Health