At Last Mile Health (LMH), we dig data. Are you able to ensure the integrity and accessibility of large volumes of data collected and stored in support of Liberia’s National Community Health Assistant Program (NCHAP)? If so, you could be the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) team’s Data Engineer.
Reporting to the Data Architect, the Data Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the quality of the data collected from the most remote communities in Liberia and expanding and optimizing the data pipelines that deliver it in a format that is accessible to key stakeholders across the NCHAP. Additionally, the Data Engineer will play a critical role in the design, development, and implementation of LMH’s next generation data warehouse and portal to deliver best in class collection, storage, and reporting needs.
The ideal candidate would enjoy building and optimizing data pipeline, storage, and reporting systems from the ground up. They must be self-directed and comfortable working with teams across the organization and the Government of Liberia.
What You’ll Do
- Research, recommend, and lead the implementation of data management and quality assurance practices in all aspects of data collection and storage
- Partner with programmatic and MERL teams to ensure data is accurate and accessible for analysis and reporting
- Develop and maintain a long-term strategy for archiving historical data, including developing documentation and metadata standards for easy lookup and retrieval
- Develop and administer production instance of MySQL and a web-based data collection and reporting tool
- Support and train staff in the use of data collection and reporting tools
- Undertake regular travel throughout Liberia to provide technical support and thought partnership to LMH county-based teams
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or other relevant scientific discipline
- Professional experience developing, testing, and maintaining production software that has been released and is being broadly used
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions around production software running at scale
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, especially Excel.
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have experience working closely with employees recruited in a resource-limited setting
- You have experience developing relational databases, data models, and programming with SQL
- You have experience developing dashboards and data visualizations using any business intelligence tool, such as Tableau, Google Data Studio, or Periscope
- You have experience using GIS tools, such as QGIS or ArcGIS
- You have experience with Dhis2 development, reporting, or administration
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
You can read about our competitive benefits offerings here.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, Liberia, Malawi, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Monrovia, Montserrado, Liberia
Category: International Jobs
Deadline: March 31, 2021
Company Name: Last Mile Health