Access to and provision of voluntary family planning (FP) methods is a foundational strategy to improve maternal, newborn, and child health. Mozambique has seen impressive gains in contraceptive prevalence, yet more work is needed to address the multiple challenges women and their families still face accessing and using FP and to build upon efforts that have yielded positive results. FHI 360 is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party to help lead an anticipated award from the United States Agency for International Development in Mozambique (USAID/Mozambique) to enable women and couples to achieve their reproductive intentions. The anticipated award is a five-year, 39.9 million dollar cooperative agreement that aims to: 1) increase demand for the adoption of healthy reproductive behaviors; 2) expand equitable access for quality FP services; and 3) improve leadership and commitment to the national family planning programs at all levels. **This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) supports the Chief of Party (COP) in the provision of leadership and oversight. S/he should have operational expertise and experience, strong public health experience, a solid professional reputation, interpersonal skills and professional relationships to fulfill the requirements of the activity descriptions. The position will be based in Maputo with substantial travel to Nampula, Sofala and Zambezia.
- Provide leadership and quality assurance in all aspects of program management to ensure the program achieves targets and aim in FP capacity strengthening activity implementation
- Manage the development and implementation of work plans; ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinate partner efforts in program implementation; ensure accurate program monitoring and reporting; lead a program management team focused on quality and timely implementation.
- Deputize for the COP to provide overall vision and leadership for the project and, when requested, serve as the project’s representative to USAID/Mozambique, Ministry of Health and provincial and district health offices, other donors and institutions, technical agencies and other participating organizations as required.
- Oversee the development, execution and ongoing management of subawards, including organizational capacity efforts to strengthen local partners.
- Work with monitoring and evaluation (M&E) staff, review ongoing assessments of program progress, including quarterly reports and results of M&E exercises to determine if programs are meeting technical targets and goals. Work with staff and partners to make activity modifications, based on these assessments.
- Ensure availability of technical resources in planning, implementing, and evaluating program activities.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with other USAID/Mozambique implementing partners to reach a common understanding of the activity, avoid duplication, strengthen and supplement USAID/Mozambique programs.
● Bachelor’s degree required; however a Master’s degree strognly preferred, in business administration, finance, economics, health policy and management with expertise in family planning or adolescent health , or a related field;
● Minimum 10+ years of experience managing grants or contracts for international NGOs, private sector, universities or other organizations with similar scopes of work;
● Experience working with USG supported projects and knowledge of financial rules and regulations at a senior level;
● Experience and knowledge of the challenges, approaches and solutions to effective organizational and technical capacity development in public, private and non-governmental sectors;
● Strong oral and written communication skills in Portuguese and English;
● Demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects;
● Demonstrated ability to manage staff and decentralized field offices; and
● Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior Government personnel, international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U.S. Government Agencies.
Availability of position is contingent upon funding and approval of key personnel.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Category: International Jobs
Company Name: FHI 360