At Last Mile Health (LMH), we are all teachers and learners. Do you have leadership experience in learning and skills development and are looking to join a team focused on innovating development of the organization’s most important asset – it’s people? If so, you may be LMH’s next Director, Staff Development.
Reporting to the Managing Director, People Operations, the Director, Staff Development, will lead ongoing innovation of Last Mile Health’s global staff development strategy, significantly developing the skills, leadership, and cultural competency of the organization’s workforce. The Director will build a comprehensive program for guiding staff development and performance, building off of a pilot developed collaboratively at LMH in 2020. The role will work closely with leaders and staff across LMH to identify skill development needs, create unique learning solutions, and drive change in individual and team learning and development priorities. While a part of the People Operations team, this position will be integral in transforming and growing the learning culture at LMH where teams are already excited to pursue development opportunities. This position requires international travel to all LMH offices, when such travel is deemed safe by the organization due global health and security conditions.
This position is open to candidates located in Malawi, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, and on the Eastern seaboard of the United States (preference to New York City and Boston). Candidates must have the ability to work in one of the countries listed above. Please note that our US offices are currently closed due to COVID 19 and all US based staff are working remotely.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement and and refine Leap, LMH’s new staff development and performance management model, including building out job performance standards, updating tools and trainings, and identifying an appropriate digital platform to house the program
- Use data from performance management processes to improve training, implementation, and drive priorities for staff development
- Provide a range of leadership development services to emerging and current leaders, including 1:1 coaching, small group learning, blended learning opportunities, career planning
- Work alongside LMH’s employee-led Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity Advocates (IDEA) Team to promote organization-wide learning on DEI
- Provide ongoing management, thought partnership, and technical support to the Senior Coordinator, Learning & Development, and a Liberia-based Learning & Development Officer
- Oversee and refine the Teachers and Learners Fund, LMH’s staff development fund, with a focus on equity, inclusion, and accessibility for all staff
- Develop tools and trainings to guide staff in the understanding of career pathways and progression
- Develop and execute a strategy and associated programming for developing emerging LMH leaders, grounded in LMH development competencies
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Ability to travel up to 20% (once LMH has cancelled travel limitations related to COVID-19)
- Significant experience building a performance management and/or leadership development programs
- Experience successfully leading and managing teams and individuals, including experience providing high-touch coaching and development
- Experience building curriculum for diverse groups of adult learners across a diverse array of professional subjects
- Experience with digital and blended learning technologies and strategies
- Experience working in and/or collaborating with individuals in a low-resource setting, preference given to experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Superior communication and project management skills; significant experience driving long-term projects to success
- Proven ability to influence performance and actions of individuals who fall outside of direct reporting line
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have a working knowledge of of adult learning theory
- You have previously worked in a company or organization with a strong focus on staff and leadership development
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
You can read about our competitive benefits offerings here.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Malawi, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Multiple Countries
Category: International Jobs
Deadline: March 31, 2021
Company Name: Last Mile Health