JBJ Foundation is a private foundation based in the United States which seeks to catalyze lasting improvements in in the lives of the world’s poorest by helping to strengthen health and education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa. We work closely with government counterparts to co-design cost-effective interventions with the potential for scale and sustainability, with a particular interest in the role of technology. Our work is currently focused in Malawi with additional countries to follow.
The Investment Associate will be responsible for supporting evidence-based decision-making by foundation trustees through research and preparation of materials profiling potential investment themes/opportunities. Successful candidates will have experience in management consulting or investment banking, experience in or familiarity with international development (especially education and/or health in low resource settings), and excitement for helping to shape the direction of an emerging foundation.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Research potential new areas of investment
- Evaluate cost-effectiveness and path to scalability/sustainability for potential interventions
- Identify and evaluate specific investment opportunities
- Review solicited proposals and conduct diligence on potential investment targets
- Prepare materials for presentation to foundation trustees
- Assist in investment execution
Required experience, skills, and background:
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Strong problem-solving skills and entrepreneurial orientation
- Ability to work independently and proactively in the context of a geographically distributed team
- Excellent board-level communications skills, in verbal/written English (including presentations)
- Relevant advanced degree (e.g., MBA) preferred