Economics Association of Malawi
The Economics Association of Malawi (ECAMA) is a professional and independent body of economists founded in February 1999. ECAMA provides independent, evidence based economic advice to policy makers, the national leadership, its members and other stakeholders. ECAMA seeks to recruit a Senior Economist (SE) to work at its secretariat which is based in Lilongwe.
Reporting to: Executive Director.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Executive Director. S/he will be responsible for initiating economic research and disseminating key research findings, managing and leading a team to grow the membership of ECAMA which comprises corporates, institutions and individuals. develop and implement a robust resource mobilization strategy. In addition, the Senior Economist will represent ECAMA at different committees, workshops, meetings and other economically related engagements
Specifically, the SE will perform the following but not limited to:
- Initiating and facilitating economic research and dissemination of key research findings;
- Collecting and reviewing relevant data on current economic situation of the country and produce professional write-ups, briefing notes, communiques, press statements and monthly reports for sharing with the public and stakeholders;
- Attending and/or organizing meetings. workshops, seminars, events nationally, regionally and internationally, in consultation with Executive Director to maintain a network of economic developments with Government, donor community, private sector and civil society,
- Lead ng In preparation / implementation of a strategic plan and annual budgets for approval by the Executive Committee;
- Managing and leading in membership drive particularly among corporate institutions and individual economists,
- Developing and implementing a properly structured Resource Mobilization and Sustainability Strategy aimed at ensuring a sustainable income flow from individuals, corporates, development partners and other legal donors for the efficient running of the secretariat and the activities of the association;
- Building relationships with development partners, government officials, other associations and the media in order to advance the association’s strategic aims;
- Assisting the Executive Director in leading the staff towards focusing on achieving the association’s mission, vision and strategic aims; and
- In liaison with the ED, the SE will arrange quarterly Board meetings
- Undertaking duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director from time to time.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
This is a strategic position and requires the incumbent to have at least:
- Master’s degree in economics obtained from a reputable institution.
- Five (5) years practical experience in an institution and conducting economic research.
- Ability to develop research and funding proposals.
- Have good economic analytical skills.
- Ability to interact with different stakeholders at high level.
- Ability to interface well with the media.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good organizational, leadership and management skills.
- Be a team player.
ECAMA seeks to fill this position as soon as possible.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Executive Director,
Economics Association of Malawi.
P. O Box 31722, Capital City,
Closing date is Friday June 18, 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged. ECAMA works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organization.