Access to and provision of voluntary family planning (FP) methods is a foundational strategy to improve maternal, newborn, and child health. While impressive gains have been seen in contraceptive prevalence in Mozambique, more work is needed to address the multiple challenges women and their families face accessing and using FP and to build upon efforts that are yielding positive results. FHI 360 is seeking a Technical Director – Mozambique Improved Family Planning Initiative to lead an anticipated award from the United States Agency for International Development in Mozambique (USAID/Mozambique) to enable women and couples to achieve their reproductive intentions. The anticipated award is a five-year 39.9 million dollar cooperative agreement that aims to 1) increase demand for the adoption of health reproductive behaviors; 2) expand equitable access for quality FP services; and 3) improve leadership and commitment to the national family planning programs at all levels. This position is subject to project award and funding. This position will be based in Maputo.
The Technical Director will be responsible for all technical aspects of the project. The Technical Director will lead a team of technical advisors and managers that will be tasked with developing activities and indicators aligned with the program result areas and that are based on evidenced-based FP practices. The Technical Director works in close collaboration with the project monitoring and evaluation director to develop indicators and systems to document program accomplishments. The Technical Director will support the Chief of Party in efforts to cultivate relationships with governmental entities, faith-based and civil society organization, and private sector providers that will be needed to realize the project results. The Technical Director will work to ensure that the project is implemented in line with United States Government (USG) rules and regulations. This position will be based in Maputo.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead and manage a technical team to strengthen FP services through demand generation, improving access to quality FP services, and capacity building of governmental agencies and other partners to manage FP programs in the target provinces of Nampula, Sofala, and Zambezia.
- Stay abreast of developments and evidence generation in FP and integrate them into the project.
- Provide guidance and technical support that are in alignment with Government of the Mozambique (GRM), USAID, and USG FP policies and strategies.
- Identify training and technical support needs for the purpose of capacity building, sustainability of program, and promotion/expansion of FP service coverage.
- Help develop FP training and develop tools, guidelines, standards to improve quality of services.
- Review and analyze performance indicators to inform adaptive redesign of project strategy.
- Lead efforts to strengthen engagement with civil society, local institutions, faith-based organizations to stimulate demand for FP services and to address equity gaps, including efforts to reach adolescents and to address social and gender norms that impede FP uptake.
- Serve as the technical/knowledge hub for FP, and oversee the project role in providing leadership at provincial and district levels.
- Develop technical components of annual work plans, draft and finalize technical sections of quarterly reports, and ensure project technical objectives and deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Maintains close communication with FHI 360 technical experts at headquarters.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field with a focus in clinical public health.
- Has 10+ years of program management in improving women’s and couples’ access to and use of FP.
- Working knowledge and experience with USAID and USG funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Knowledge and proven experience in FP technical leadership, strategy development, and staff oversight.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with and collaborate with both public and private partners.
- Fluency in Portuguese and strong oral and written communication and skills in English required.
- Experience working in Mozambique is desired and Mozambican nationals are encouraged to apply.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Mozambique-Maputo (F; Beijo da Mulata St.)
Category: International Jobs
Company Name: FHI 360